Cafe Hopping: W39 Bistro and Bakery


After a long week of work (and dogsitting), I popped over to W39 in West Coast for some dinner and dessert. My Singapore coffee colleagues have dropped this name more than once, but since it is tucked away in an obscure neighborhood out west, this was the first opportunity I had to drop by. But I was quite glad that I did, as the food, dessert, and vibe of W39 made it a winner. 

With reservations at 8PM, we clearly wouldn't be sampling their brunch menu (which is also spoken highly of among my caffeine kakis). But two items on the menu stuck out right away - the confit of duck leg and the wagyu burger. See pictures below to admire their deliciousness, because they tasted just as good as they looked.
 


I chose the wagyu burger, which was very juicy and plump with a delicious relish-cheese combo as the main topping. The accompanying french fries were a welcome surprise, as they were the closest match to American fries that I've had over the past year. Most places here seem to serve some sort of shoestring variety. I tried my friend's duck, which was cooked well with a somewhat unctuous skin complementing the white meat quite nicely.

Our seats were, for better or worse, placed in close proximity to the cake section. With slices of the rainbow cake flying off the shelf, I motioned to our waited to please reserve one for me, even though I had just begun chomping on my burger. This was a good life decision, as this beauty had a wonderful lemon taste to match its vibrant color. My friend nabbed a slice of the "old-fashioned" peanut butter cake, which was almost too rich. A glass of milk would have been nice to wash down all of that flavor, though we settled for late night coffees instead. My flat white was nice and smooth, reminiscent of the velvety feel that flat white are supposed to evoke.



This was the latte that my mate ordered; my flat white had no latte art, sadly
W39 is well laid out, with both outdoor and indoor seating available, and a tastefully decorated interior. The staff was supremely friendly and gracious, which really was the cherry on top of the whole experience. I would highly recommend W39 to any prospective cafe hoppers out there. Just be sure to plan your day around it, for two reasons. 1) It's pretty far out of the way, and 2) the cakes are phenomenal, so you'll probably be extending your stay by an hour or two to sample them.


W39 Bistro and Bakery
39 Jalan Mas Puteh, 128637

Tues - Fri: 11AM - 10PM
Sat - Sun: 9AM - 10:30PM

Reservations: +65 9646-5372

http://www.w39bistro.com/


Comments