Cafe Hopping: Anthesis


Wrangling with a massive dataset from one of my experiments, I decided to work away from the lab this past Tuesday. Naturally, I strolled over to Robertson Quay to check out one of their many esteemed cafés. This week brought me Anthesis, another café-bistro-bakery (hence the "boulangerie" on the door) concept that seems to be gaining popularity in Singapore.

I arrived around 9AM, and there were only a handful of other customers inside the spacious interior. I opted for the "Eggs Duet," which consisted of scrambled eggs plus smoked salmon, mushroom frittata, chipolata, and bacon plus sausage on the side with some greens (S$14). The highlights here were the lightly toasted, buttery buns and the extraordinarily good bacon. Tasted like it came straight from Mom's kitchen. I was expecting to still be hungry afterwards but it filled me up.




I then followed it up with a cup of the house blend. They use three beans – 
Brazilian Bourbon, Guatemala and Sumatran LinTong - for their blend, which packed quite the caffeine punch. It had a rich, somewhat earthy flavor with a light citrus burst. I certainly enjoyed it, although I wish I had tried out some options from their extensive tea menu as well.

There is also the option to dine al fresco, with some people did during the lunch hour. This is a very nice option, as the patio lies within a few meters of the Singapore River. The interior, as you can see below, has a vintage flair to it, populated with simple metal seats and little oaken buckets on each table to hold the silverware. It had one of the better interior layouts that I've seen yet in Singapore.

Now, I have heard from two separate people that the service can be subpar at times, presumably during peak hours. Personally, I was quite pleased, as the servers were responsive and the food was prepared in a timely fashion. The barista even came over to chat about how exactly I wanted my cup of coffee prepared. Overall, I was quite satisfied with my experience.



ANTHESIS
#01-01, Robertson Blue, 86 Robertson Quay

Singapore 238245
Tel: +65 6737 9873
Tue to Sun: 8.30am – 10pm

https://www.facebook.com/anthesisRQ

Comments